Civil Air Patrol: Camden Military Academy Cadet Squadron (MER-SC-805)
On behalf of Civil Air Patrol's nearly 60,000 volunteer members nationwide and overseas, welcome to the Camden Military Academy Cadet Squadron! The Civil Air Patrol is a volunteer, non-profit organization that also serves as the civilian auxiliary to the U.S. Air Force. Our three missions are to develop youth through a cadet program, educate Americans on the importance of aviation and space, and perform live-saving humanitarian missions.
CAP is a youth development program that incorporates aviation and military customs and courtesies. Through their experiences as CAP cadets, young people develop into responsible citizens and become tomorrow's aerospace leaders. The leadership skills, self-confidence, and discipline cadets gain through CAP prepares them to achieve whatever goals they set for themselves in life.
To fulfill its goal of developing young people into responsible citizens and aerospace leaders, the Cadet Program is developed around five program elements: Leadership, Character Development, Aerospace Education, Physical Fitness, and Activities. As cadets participate in these five elements, they advance through a series of achievements, earning honors and increased responsibilities along the way.
This year we participated in the Medal of Honor Character Development Program. Throughout the school year, our cadets studied the core values of Civil Air Patrol and examined real stories from Medal of Honor recepients. Cadets analyzed the stories and were able to explain the importance of the core values and their role in daily life decision making. We also implemented the Drug Demand Reduction Excellence Program in our squadron. The Drug Demand Reduction mission is dedicated to helping Civil Air Patrol cadets achieve excellence in life by making good choices and remaining free of drugs and alcohol. This is especially important if the cadet wants to become a part of the military or the professional world of civilian aviation or business.
This year was also a big year for leadership growth. We had a record six cadets earn the Wright Brothers Award. With this award, those cadets earned the right to become Staff Sergeants within the cadet ranks. We also had our first ever Mitchell Award. Cadet William Larsen earned the Mitchell Award in November and was promoted to Cadet 2nd Lieutenant. C/Lt Larsen was also one of 26 cadet officers selected nationwide to participate in the Civil Air Patrol's Civic Leadership Academy in Washington D.C. He spent a week in the nation's capital learning about government and leadership while visiting places such as the Capitol, FBI Headquarters and White House.
Our Aerospace Education Program continues to excel. Our Aerospace Education Officer, 1st Lt Harry Zimmerman, was named the Middle East Region Aerospace Education Officer of the year! Lt Zimmerman was named the South Carolina Wing AEO of the Year and competed against six other Wings within the Region to earn the distinction of MER AEO of the Year! This year he oversaw 10 Model Rocketry Badges earned and the completion of the Aerospace Education Excellence Program! We are proud to have him in our Squadron!
This summer our cadets are staying active! Six cadets will be attending CAP's week long Encampment between June and July. Each cadet is attending a different Wing's Encampment. Camden Military Academy Cadet Squadron will be represented at the Florida, Georgia, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas Wing Encampments! We also have two cadets who will be attending National Cadet Special Activities! Are Senior Members are also staying busy. Lt Paramore will be instructing Ground Search and Rescue at the Middle East Region Search and Rescue College at Fort Pickett, VA and the National Emergency Services Academy at Camp Atterbury, IN.
CAP Cadets Shine at Camden Military Academy:
- Congratulations to Cadet 1st Lieutenant Larsen on graduating with honors as the Senior Class Salutatorian. He will be attending the University of Florida on an ROTC Scholarship!
- Congratuations to Cadet Senior Master Sergeant Villalobos on being named the 2018-2019 Camden Military Academy Battalion Commander! As the BC, Cadet Villalobos will be the top ranking cadet and will oversee 300 cadets and provide guidance and direction for his chain of command.
- Congratulations to Cadet Staff Sergeant Lewis who was named the 2018 Camden Military Academy Cadet of the Year! Cadet Lewis also had the highest GPA for the class of 2019 during the academic school year and will be a Platoon Leader in Alpha Company in the Fall.
- Congratuations to Cadet Staff Sergeant Stillitano on being named the 2018-19 Logistics (S-4) Officer for Battalion Staff!
- Congratulations to Cadet Staff Sergeant Volcy on being named the 2018-19 Alpha Company Executive Officer!
- Congratuatlions to Cadet Technical Sergeant Leopold on being named the 2018-19 Charlie Company First Sergeant!
- Congratulations to Cadet Airman First Class Robison on being named the 2018-19 Delta Company First Sergeant!
We hope all of our cadets have a great summer and we look forward to hiting the ground running in August!
Please check out pictures and videos from our squadron Facebook page at: facebook.com/sc805
Commander: 1st Lt Nicholas Paramore
Deputy Commander: Lt Col Glenn Melberg
Aerospace Officer: 1st Lt Harry Zimmerman
Emergency Services Officer: 2d Lt Jason Grogan
Safety Officer: Maj. Del Sills