Salute to Our Founders
The Camden-Carlisle Alumni Association History and Organization
The Camden-Carlisle Alumni Association represents the alumni of three college preparatory schools: Camden Military Academy (opened in 1958). Camden Academy (1950-1957) and Carlisle Military School (1892-1977).
Carlisle Military School, located in Bamberg, South Carolina, was established in 1892 as the Carlisle Fitting School of Wofford College. It was named in honor of Dr. James H. Carlisle, who was for many years the president of Wofford College in Spartanburg, South Carolina. In 1932, Carlisle was leased by Colonel and Mrs. James F. Risher and in 1938 was purchased by them. They, and later their son, Colonel William R. Risher, operated it as a military preparatory school until it closed in May 1977.
Camden Military Academy, in Camden, South Carolina, was originally founded as Camden Academy in 1950 by a group of generous and far-sighted Camden citizens who felt that their town was an ideal setting for a private school. Colonel James F. Risher, then president of Carlisle Military School, purchased the facility in 1958, and the name changed to Camden Military Academy. His son, Colonel Lanning P. Risher, was the school's first headmaster, and he served in that position for 37 years. In 1974, Lanning Risher led the Academy through a reorganization as a non-profit, tax-exempt institution. Upon his retirement in 1995, he was succeeded by Lt. Colonel William K. Orris, who served as headmaster until August 2003. At that time, the Board of Trustees designated long-time teacher and coach, Colonel Eric Boland, the third headmaster of the Academy.