A Day for the Records!
This past Saturday, the CMA track/field team left the SCISA Division I State Championship with not just one, but five different school records. Despite the large amount of competition, the cadets were unphased and were able to leave their mark on the meet. The week leading up to the state championship was a busy one, the team had a regional track meet that same week at Wilson Hall (5/01) and several other activities to attend as well. Regardless of the busy week or waking up at 5:00 am to get ready to leave on Saturday, the cadets rose to the occasion. For the athletes, it was not enough to simply qualify for a state meet, they wanted to make some “noise” as well. In the 400-meter, Lamont McCullough broke the school record at 55.11; now making him a school-record holder for three different events. In the 1600-meter, Patrick Looney increased his record to a 5:00.76; he graduated with two school-records. All three of our relay teams showed vast improvement by either breaking the school record for the first time or improving upon their recent record. Although this has been a great season, full of many accomplishments, it is just the start of a track/field program that will only improve from here. Overall, the meet was a great statement for the program and we appreciate all the hard work of the athletes and the support we received all year from the parents. Coach Phillips and I look forward to the upcoming season that will only improve on what has been accomplished this year. This is just the start!
School Record Holders (2023-2024 Season):
- Lamont McCullough (400 Meter), 55.11
- Lamont McCullough (800 Meter), 2:13.21
- Patrick Looney (1600 Meter), 5:00.76
- Zion LaCount, Quez Hadley, Edward Love Jr., Lamont McCullough (4x100 Meter), 46.59
- Cohen DeCort, Patrick Looney, Isaac Maher, Dewitt Cure (4x400 Meter), 3:50.23
- Isaac Maher, Alistar Omdahl, Reilly Cunningham, Christian Snell (4x800 Meter), 9:26.11
- Jesse Davis (Head Track and Field Coach)